Thursday, August 20, 2009

Baby Hansen's first time wake boarding! (18.5 weeks pregnant)

As promised... I'm delivering a quick post about Baby Hansen's first wake boarding experience. To be honest, I'm pretty sure Baby Hansen loved it!! Now, I should point out that wake boarding was the one thing that my doctor advised that I really shouldn't do. He said the risk of falling/high impact crashes was a little too high. I should have known that I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation after spending a week up at Bear Lake. We went with my sister and Jeff to Delta several weeks ago and I did well to stay inside the boat and refrained from wake boarding. This time, the desire was just too much.

When we arrived at Bear Lake early Thursday morning, I asked Trent if he thought it would be okay to wake board. He said no. I agreed. Even though I agreed with him, it still wasn't easy to shake the desire to go. The freezing cold water should have been enough to deter me... but my brother's friend Cal had wetsuits we could borrow. After watching my brother wake board for the first time, I was really itching to go. I asked Cal for a wetsuit and put it on (those things aren't easy to put on... especially with a growing belly!) Although my mom was very opposed to me (and baby hansen) going wake boarding, I did my best to convince her that everything would be fine.

I said I would only go once, stay in the wake, take a short ride, and let go of the rope when I was done or if I felt it was too bumpy. Here's a little photojournalism to document the adventure:

Getting ready to take the plunge:

The water is freezing. Even with a wetsuit, it's very very cold.
I'm trying to catch my breath after the initial shock:
It took some true concentration to make sure the baby had an enjoyable, safe ride
It's hard to tell from this picture, but I was trying to get Morgan's attention and wave to her. Unfortunately, she was far too tired (taking a nap on my mom's lap) to acknowledge me
Bottom line... the baby loved wake boarding. One time wasn't enough... so we had to go again a little later. I did, however, resist the urge to go just "one more time" after the second time... because the water was really choppy and it seemed a little dangerous.

2 comments:

  1. Man you are crazy. But I think that mom's (as in yourself) know best. -Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit that my first time ever wakeboarding was while pregnant- only about six weeks along, but I still knew. I loved it and can't wait to go again (it was last summer). We were supposed to go this summer but my husband's sister's boat was in the shop while we were visiting them :(.

    ReplyDelete