Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Breaking the News at Work

Since I found out I'm expecting, I really believed my boss, Michele, should be among the first to learn of my news at work. I would have been full of regret if she had heard it through the "rumor mill"... instead of from the source. I had planned on telling her next week... but I just couldn't wait for 7 more days. During my one on one today, I broke the story.

I won't go into the detail of our conversation but I will say I was extremely impressed with her response and how she received the news. She seemed so excited for me. I spoke briefly about my career desires and how I want to continue working. I don't want my decision to have a family to prohibit me from having growth and promotion opportunities. I receive a lot of fulfillment from the work that I do and I plan on continuing that, while balancing my "mom" responsibilities with my work responsibilities. I've seen many people do this quite well and I hope I can do the same. I felt a huge amount of relief after revealing my "secret" to Michele.

Now I can say... it's no longer a secret. "News" spreads quickly. At work, we have a snack table. When there is extra food that was purchased for a training or a meeting, the extras are put on the snack table and available on a "first come, first serve" basis. It's safe to say they don't last long. Initially, one person notices the food and within a couple minutes, every last morsel is on someone's plate or in someone's stomach. We're like vultures when it comes to free food. I say this because the way we consume information is strikingly similar. People at work are vultures for the latest news/gossip. Not even an hour after letting Michele and a few others know that I'm expecting, I was receiving "congratulations" from folks all over the company. Overall, it's nice not to have to keep my secret to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment